Strawberry-topped Pavlovas with a Honey Balsamic Sauce
- 3 punnets Strawberries, quartered
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 4 large Egg whites
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Vasse Virgin Sweet Golden Honey Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Cinnamon stick
Method - Pavlovas
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine the strawberries and the 1/3 cup sugar, cover and chill.
- To make the meringues cover two baking trays with baking paper and secure with masking tape.
- Place cream of tartar and egg whites in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until nice and foamy.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Do not under beat.
- Then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Divide the egg white mixture evenly onto the baking sheets and shape into large nests with one inch sides using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for one hour, rotating the trays at half time.
- Cool the meringues in the closed oven for 30 minutes and then carefully remove from the baking paper and allow to cool completely.
Method - Sauce
- To make the sauce, combine the balsamic vinegar and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan over medium to high heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook until it becomes thick and syrupy and reduces to approximately 1/3 cup (this should take 5-6 minutes). Then remove from the heat and discard the cinnamon stick.
- Place meringues on top of dessert plates, top each one with 3/4 cup of the strawberry and sugar mixture then drizzle the sauce over the top. Enjoy!