10 Reasons Why We Use Olive Oil In Our Skincare Products
Olive Oil has a whole range of health benefits for inside your body and out. It’s our key ingredient at Vasse Virgin, and here are 10 reasons why we use this liquid gold…
- Moisturising: olive oil is very similar to the oils our skin naturally produces, so it makes sense it works as a fantastic moisturiser for all skin types. It absorbs easily into the skin, and you don’t need to use a lot of product to get a huge benefit. Vasse Virgin soaps contain 80% oils, of which a significant amount is olive oil. So even when you’re cleansing, you’ll be providing your skin with the moisture it needs!
- Protects the skin: olive oil protects the skin against free radicals, which can cause skin damage. Using olive oil in your moisturisers creates a protective barrier and components of olive oil, such as vitamin E actively protect the skin from environmental factors that can lead to wrinkles, age spots and dull skin.
- Doesn’t strip away protective layers: some commercially made soaps and cleansers strip the skin of its essential protective layers, leaving the skin dry, dull and looking flat. Olive oil cleanses the skin, but also restores moisture at the same time.
- Contains Vitamins A and E which are both beneficial for your skin and hair. These vitamins promote collagen production, which is needed for healthy hair and skin.
- Contains Squalene: this ingredient is sought after in the beauty industry and is known as a powerful ingredient to fight ageing. This ingredient is most commonly sourced from a certain shark’s liver, so using the squalene from olive oil is becoming more popular as a cruelty free alternative.
- Contains Essential Fatty Acids: these fatty acids are the building blocks for healthy cell membranes. They also assist with production of the skins’ natural oils to keep skin hydrated and therefore looking healthy!
- Contains Polyphenols: these are the antioxidants in olive oil. Polyphenols are at their highest when the olive oil is fresh, so we make sure to make our skincare with the freshest possible olive oil. These antioxidants protect the skin against free radicals- such as pollution, and stresses from every day life.
- Doesn’t block your pores: unlike some oils or other skincare ingredients, olive oil still lets your skin breathe and it won’t clog your pores!
- Reduces fine lines and scars: olive oil is proven to reduce scaring and helps to reduce (and prevent) fine lines and wrinkles. Particularly good for preventing stretch marks during pregnancy- we recommend our massage oils for scars.
- Our owner is Italian! Louis’ family background is Italian, his family is from Northern Italy. So of course we love our olive oil!